New Construction Requirements

Prior to construction of any new development, the owner is required to schedule a pre-application meeting to discuss any land use development requirements. The first step to obtain a pre-application meeting is to complete and submit the Pre-Application Review Questionnaire (PDF). Once the completed form is received, you will be contacted to schedule a meeting. No building permits will be issued for commercial/industrial projects without the approval of City staff and the Fort Lupton Fire Department.

The City's water comes from mountain run-off as part of the Colorado Big Thompson (C-BT) project. The applicant of any new construction project is required to provide water dedication, which is a fee in addition to the fees for new construction. For the number of shares to be dedicated, refer to the Water Requirements for New Development (PDF). Locate the water tap size for your project, then see C-BT Unit Equivalents (aka water shares) column. The cost of each water share is based on market value and is therefore subject to change without notice.

For building permit submittal requirements, click on the tab(s) below. If you have any questions on submittals, contact the Building Department at 303-857-6694.

Additional Residential Information

Additional Commercial Information

Master Plan Submittal Requirements

(Digital Submittal are now accepted through Cascade under the Master Plan permit type)

  • Full Set of Architectural Plans showing all options to be built and all Elevations
  • Rescheck or Energy study showing compliance to the 2018 IECC for all plan options submitted
  • Manual D, J & S reports for all options submitted showing compliance to the 2018 IECC
  • Full set of Stamped Structural for all options to be built

       If you have any questions on building submittals, contact ProCode at 970.305.3161 

Utility Service Providers


United Power- Brighton Headquarters

500 Cooperative Way
Brighton, Colorado 80603

Business Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00a - 5:00p

Member Services 


Report An Outage


Account by Phone


New Construction


Xcel Energy

  • Report an electric outage online or text OUT to 98936 and STAT to check the status of your outage

General Correspondence

Xcel Energy

414 Nicollet Mall

Minneapolis, MN 55401

Report a gas leak or outage


Residential Customer Service

Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Saturday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Business Solution Center

Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.


Builder’s Call Line

Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.


Call Before You Dig


  1. Single Family Dwelling
  2. Multi-Family
  3. Commercial Industrial

Single Family Dwelling

Submittal Requirements: (Digital Submittal are now accepted through Cascade)
  • Complete a commercial building permit application (PDF)
  • Two (2) copies of a site plan, (one to be on 8 1/2 x 11)
  • Two (2) copies of construction drawings/blueprints to be stamped by a State of Colorado licensed architect/engineer
  • Two (2) copies of engineered foundation drawings with top of foundation noted
  • One (1) copy of the soil report
  • Site Drainage
  • Residential Energy Compliance Certificate **NEW**
  • Water share certificate, if applicable
  • Approval letter from HOA, if applicable
  • Improvement Location Certificate, ILC (prior to Certificate of Occupancy)
  • Additional information as required by City staff